The air in 1994 tasted different—thick with a decades-old devotion I’d carried like a hidden ember since 1973 when I was 10 ½ years old. For twenty years, Ted Neeley was a ghost I chased through analog corridors, dialing disconnected numbers and sending letters addressed simply to "Hollywood." He had dropped off the edge of the earth after his Ulysses album in 1978, leaving me with nothing but a childhood photo album full of pictures I had collected from magazines of him and a joke I made on a third date in 1981: If ever Ted Neeley comes back to Hollywood, I’m gone. My husband would just roll his eyes from his throne on the couch, the remote control a scepter in his hand, telling me to get over it.
But then, the theater doors reopened. The 20th anniversary tour was announced, and the ghost became flesh.
To understand the gravity of that night, you have to understand the quiet, suffocating gravity of my marriage. For ten years, he was the shadow at my shoulder—driving me to work, policing the grocery store lines by forcing me to take the children as chaperones, barring me from Tuesday night Spanish classes because the world contained other men. He was a man rules-bound and fearful, projecting his own hidden guilt onto the borders of my small life. He only agreed to take me to Charlotte because, for the first time in my marriage, I stood up and said I was going no matter what he did.
The day of the concert, my chest was too small for my breath. I clutched my camera and my childhood photo album. Walking through the lobby, I frantically grabbed a handful of show programs, stuffing them between the pages like hidden treasures.
Our tickets banished us to the very back row. When the usher told me cameras weren't allowed, the old, submissive version of me complied, sinking into the dark. But as the final notes rang out and the cast took their final bows, a spark ignited. I told my husband I was going to the front just to see. He walked toward the safety of the lobby restrooms, and I marched down the aisle.
Standing at the edge of the stage, the universe narrowed. Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson looked down. Eye contact. A direct line of electricity. I held up my sacred photo album and mouthed, “Will you sign my book?” Ted nodded. In my beautiful, chaotic vertigo, all twenty programs I’d smuggled inside the album burst free, scattering across the floor like autumn leaves. I stood there, looking like an idiot, and a second later the heavy curtain fell. They were gone.
In that fraction of a second, the girl who always followed the rules vanished. A woman possessed took her place.
I made a straight line for the backstage door. When the guard blocked my path, I threw on a mask of official, intimidating seriousness. "Ted is expecting me," I commanded. He firmly told me to leave. The mask shattered, and the raw, weeping truth poured out. I began to cry, begging, pleading: "Mister, please, you don't know. I have followed this man since 1973. I just have to meet him. Please." Softened by the sheer weight of my grief, he took mercy. "Ok, come in, but stand right here and don't move."
I stood frozen in that backstage hallway for twenty minutes. The controlling husband? I forgot he existed. I forgot the cage. I forgot the rules.
Then, Ted and Carl walked out. I stepped forward, my voice trembling but clear, telling Ted how much his music had carried me through the years, concluding that I just wanted to shake his hand. He smiled, a warmth that filled the sterile hallway. "No handshake," he said. "A hug."
And then I was enveloped in one of Ted’s famous, soul-healing hugs.
It was at that exact moment that my husband—having scoured the parking lot, the lobby, and the auditorium—finally burst through the stage door. Did I freeze? Did I apologize? No. The meek, controlled woman was dead. I turned to him, shoved the camera into his hands, and commanded: "Pictures. Take pictures. NOW!" And he did.
We split up not long after that night. Not because of Ted, but because the illusion of his control had been permanently shattered not just from that night but for more serious reasons. I am no longer that submissive woman. I never will be again. Today, I am happily remarried to an incredible man who understands love, trust, and real communication.
But I still look back at that night in Charlotte. It wasn't just the pinnacle of a lifelong dream; it was my own declaration of independence. Standing backstage, wrapped in a stranger's kindness, I finally grew into the woman I was always meant to be.
The decades that followed blurred into a beautiful tapestry of return trips, the initial spark settling into a steady, comforting warmth. I chased the music across the map, Myrtle Beach, Morganton, NC and once traveling up to Rochester, Illinois with a fellow "Ted Head," finding the same gentle soul waiting at the end of the night.
But the most sacred memory came the year I brought my daughter, Brooke. Ted stood with her, completely present, talking for nearly an hour about her life, her dreams, and sharing stories of his own daughter who was around her same age.
It is a rare, quiet magic when the giants of our youth remain giant when you stand beside them. After fifty years of fame, draped in the bright lights of a lifetime on stage, he remains entirely untouched by it—a man profoundly gracious, soft-spoken, and infinitely kind.






No comments:
Post a Comment
If something you read makes you think, remember, laugh, or simply pause for a moment, I’d love for you to leave a comment.