Jul 31, 2010

Another Update on Miss Bella (Or Stormy learns more of life's lessons)



I know this blog is BELLA'S blog. But I just want to mention that over the past 3 weeks, I have gone from "Oh she's so beautiful, I might just keep her", to "Holy Buckets, what the heck was I thinking???".

Someone just shoot me and end this madness! I've even gone so far as to email the Great Dane Rescue on at least two occasions when I was (almost) quite literally having a meltdown.

Bella IS beautiful. Bella IS smart. Bella is big, and goofy and affectionate. She loves to LEAN into her human counterpart, like all Danes-which I find so cool. Bella also enjoys counter surfing, chewing everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in sight. The day I came home and there was a large (well way bigger than my fist) hole in the side of my house and plastic pieces all over my yard (she discovered my dryer vent and had removed it from the outside wall of my house), or the laminate on the counter top that she pulled off, the one and only time she had an accident in the house that happened to be the 5th time she broke out of her kennel one night (now using baling wire to support the kennel on all available corners and edges as the Super Strong zip ties were as helpful as a restraining order that an abusive husband just walks right through), well on all those moments and even more I'm not able to talk about, without feelings of Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder hitting me, I really had to wonder what I have gotten myself into.

A full time job, two 85 pound German Shepherds (one with special needs due to Mega Esophagus and history of aspiration pneumonia secondary to the Mega Esophagus), as well as a few other family dynamics that have kept me running, are enough to keep anyone busy.

But then there are moments that make me realize Bella is an awesome girl. She LOVES everyone. From the kids who drop by, to Diesel, my younger Shepherd with the Mega E; to even Jaxson my Alpha boy who constantly has to challenge anything and any one (other canines included) to assert his Alpha role. Bella takes it all in stride and plays along with whatever comes her way. Although she still gets a little "mouthy" when excited and playing outdoors, she still remains sweet and affectionate-and has shown no aggressive behavior to any one or any animal.

When it is just Bella and I inside, she remains very curious. She is constantly sniffing everything, investigating every corner....even places that there is NO WAY she could possibly fit under, like my computer table, or the small TV stand with the rabbit ears hanging precariously over the back that are balanced like a house of cards, to the TV stand beside the recliner, that in no way can stand in an upright position when she crawls under it despite the fact that there are 10 pounds worth of "stuff" on it including his full glass of water - which all goes toppling to the floor once Miss Bella crawls under it. But she doesn't seem to notice the mess, as she has moved on to more adventurous tasks like toilet paper rolls that she tries to dismount from the wall, or chewing on the deer antlers I once had on my end table that I have since hidden two weeks ago, that she "found".

But when I get her to focus on ME, and make eye contact and I bring my hands up by my face, she comes to ATTENTION. She actually stops and looks at my hands to see what I am going to tell her. This part alone, getting her to LOOK at my hands when I tap her, has taken all of 3 weeks. I don't think she can hear me, but she has sure picked up on basic American Sign Language. Already, she knows sit, come, and no. We are working still on the STAY command. This one I think she just doesn't do because she really has better things to do (like counter surf, or finding the leg to my baby grand piano to chew on), I think she could STAY if she so desired, she just hasn't learned yet that I am her Alpha. In her mind she is a "people" which is a quality I have seen in other Danes my family has owned. She doesn't KNOW she is a dog. She doesn't know she is a BIG dog. She is an approximate 9 month old puppy in an 80 pound body. One that until coming into my home, has not been taught basic house manners/behavior. And THIS is NOT HER fault.

So do I regret fostering Bella? Well only during meltdowns (mine not Bella's) after working a 12 hour shift, or a couple of long shifts in a row before the 70 mile drive home, and also working with my own two dogs, and when she gets so destructive to property even when I turn my back for as little as 1 or 2 minutes- I wonder about my own sanity and ability to make responsible decisions.

Other times though, when I actually stop my world, and put my "boys" outside to play and I focus on just Bella and play with her, or work with her in basic obedience, or just sit back and watch her silly goofy antics-well then I feel blessed to have her in my life-if only for a few weeks or months. It isn't her fault that no one til now took the time to teach her and work with her. She must certainly feel lost, homeless, confused, and abandoned. To top that, she has to contend with two German Shepherds who lived here first and think she is the intruder. She takes that part quite well-she still wants to romp and play despite Jaxsons' attempts at reminding her she is just a guest.

Bella is food driven and has a strong play drive (note I did not say "prey" but "play" drive). These two things are both being used as a training reward. Once Bella has learned some basic commands, she is going to make the right family an awesome dog. She just needs to work through her puppy antics and learn a few more basic commands. She still cannot be trusted alone in a room indoors - she will need someone in the room or nearby or she will get into people stuff. She does not ride well if not kenneled or tethered safely in the car. This one is important to note, because if lose in the car (*not just for safety reasons is this a bad idea), she will climb back and forth to the back seat, to the rear of the SUV and then back over the backseat and into the front seat and attempts to get up on my lap with her head and shoulders all in under two minutes time (which makes it impossible and very unsafe to try to drive).
Did I mention chew toys? Bella requires chew toys. LOTS of chews toys. Trust me on this one.

Bella is earmarked for a previously approved home, and hopefully for Bella's sake she will soon find her way to her forever home.

So this has been a learning experience for me. A lesson in patience, a lesson in realizing how well behaved my own boys are (and they, just like Bella were NOT this well behaved when I first got them), and a lesson in how glad I have friends to pick up the pieces (sometimes quite literally after Bella has a chewing session on yet another household item) and a lesson in love. Love for the other human and canines already living here, as well as for beautiful, goofy and affectionate Bella. For she really is all those things and more.

And if the Great Dane Rescue folks tire of my meltdowns and my pleas to "find her another foster home YESTERDAY, I cannot take another second of this", they are smart enough to send a word of encouragement and a "We have all been there Stormy, hang in there".

I did, after all sign up for this one.

No one came knocking on my door asking me to foster this girl.

She cannot help it she is hard of hearing, and doesn't know the rules. This was something I volunteered for, and I do find myself having to remind myself of this in moments when I think I cannot do this one day longer. My meltdown is usually over within the hour and I've noticed it only comes on the heels of working two long shifts and driving the 70 miles home from work, when my reserves are empty, when I've given all I can give at work, and come home to a handful of Dane Puppy Antics in a giant and curious Dane- but a lovable, cute and goofy Dane. After a few hours sleep and some rest on my part I once again feel revitalized and ready to take on another day of training and play with all of the dogs (Miss Bella included).

Bringing a dog into your home that you know nothing about, and who has been traumatized enough by being uprooted from their former home, a dog you receive very limited information on (when someone dumps their dog at a shelter if they do give them any information, it cannot be trusted). To do all this, takes a special kind of person; I am not so sure I am that person- especially with all I had on my plate even before Bella. I know amongst other lessons, I will come away from this with an entirely knew respect for my friend Norma, Kim, Katie, Stephanie, and other foster friends in both the German Shepherd world and the Great Dane world.

So today's entry should be entitled "Stormy learns more of life's lessons" instead of "Another update on Miss Bella".
Funny, every lesson I have learned in my 47 years of living, has been self taught. I can listen to someone wiser as they talk, until the cows come home, but if I have something in my head, no one and no thing can persuade me otherwise. So another lesson learned for Stormy - and in the process a lost and abandoned Great Dane whom I am teaching obedience and house manners, is concurrently teaching ME some of life's lessons on love, patience, dedication and commitment.

Well that's all I have for tonight. I'll get a few pictures taken this weekend of Miss Bella and post them to this blog.
Over and out *(that's 70's CB talk for I'm out of here-1:24 am is way to late to be up rambling.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my friend do I know this entry!!!!!I presently have two harlies,one springer and Nala,the me. girlie all under a year. All are lying around while I'm typing presently and it looks quite lovely and peaceful but it can errupt into bedlam in a nanosecond! We do it because we are servers and nuturers, but at 56, I have decided, with the help of my husband,that this has to stop. It really is like a drug for me and I have great difficulty saying no to a pooch in need. Can we spell co-dependant??!! Any hoo how,with every one,and I've been at this for about 30 years,there is a story to tell,lessons learned,trials met,with spatterings of sadness and great joy mixed in for good measure. I like who you are my Stormy friend,and am very glad to have the opportunity to learn and share right along with ya. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words my friend, I know you have been down this same road SO many times! I'm sure it is no easier for Ontario Dane fosters as it is for Midwestern USA fosters! lol But 30 years!~ Wow that is quite impressive.

    I don't think it is co-dependence on my part as much as empty-nest syndrome....but call it what you want, it can still make you want to go quietly and calmly into the nearest room with a lock on the door, and just never come back out until someone else fixes the mess and the noise and the needs of this beautiful but busy creature now living in my home! At that point it seems quite reasonable that I could stay locked behind that closed door in that bedroom for the next 35 years if I had to. lol
    I know I will never take another Dane puppy (any Dane under 3)-just way too much work for this old women, especially with all the other things on my plate.
    Thanks again Kim for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section.