Jul 22, 2010

Learning the ropes


Just an update on Bella's progress as well as other things.

She is scheduled for her suture removal from the spay on Monday the 26. Once the sutures are out she is ready for adoption.

Already she has learned the sign language for SIT (she IS a smart girl, she learned this in under a week). I use the verbal "SIT" in case she CAN hear me, but it is my hands she is learning to watch. I am working on "COME" this week. We spent the morning on both of these (15" at a time 3 sessions already today). Then I thought I would come back to my computer and check email. I left toys in each room for her, and I could hear her scooting her favorite chew toy across the kitchen floor as I checked email.

All seemed well. She would come in here every 2-3 minutes for a hug or petting and just to see what I was doing.

I got up and checked on her every couple minutes too, when she was in the kitchen with her chew toy. This is progress, since initially I could not leave her alone in a room for more than 30 seconds without her destroying something, climbing up on something, chewing up something, etc.

Well she lasted 10 minutes alone with me checking every 2-3 minutes as she played with the toy in the kitchen. I had just checked and returned to my computer and I heard an unusual sound. I ran back into the kitchen. She had climbed up on one of the kennels where the tub of dog food (40# of food) was kept and pulled it down, removed the sealed lid and had the food spread all over the floor (all 40 pounds of it).

I quickly verbalized the word NO and did the sign language for NO, followed by the sign for "TIME OUT" (She doesn't know this one yet, but I threw that one in for good measure as I think she will need to learn it). I then put her in her crate. I don't want her to associate her crate with negative things, but I had no where else to put her. (Suggestions on any other way to have handled that one?)

I'll give her 10 or 15 minutes in there, then let her out and try again.

My goals this week are to reinforce the SIT, teach the COME (in sign language and verbally in case she is hearing) and to foster some independence within the house while teaching her not to be destructive to property.

I think whoever adopts her is going to need to be fully aware that Bella is not a girl you can leave unsupervised. We have made SOME progress with that, but as you can see, she cannot be left alone for more than a couple minutes, and even then she will need her toys fully available so she doesn't get into "people stuff". I learned too, that she DOES jump on you when outside playing. She gets excited and she is VERY energetic and she does jump up (next lesson is the down command). She is also mouthy at that point. But she is less than a year old, so has so much puppy in her. Wherever she came from, she was not taught ANY basic commands, she has NO house manners, and although she is a very sweet girl, she is just like a 2 month old puppy as far as her behavior goes, but inside an 85 pound body-which makes her very destructive to whatever she gets hold of. She is however, 100% potty trained. (No accidents indoors at all).

If she does hear, it is minimal. When outside yesterday afternoon, she was startled when I came up to her, although I called her name and was talking to her as I came toward her (from behind), I did startle her once I came into her view. Sometimes though, it appears she can hear noises, so I don't know. I do know she is hard of hearing at the least.

She is not a dog a first time Dane owner would want. They would probably never want a Dane again if this was their first. All they would see is how she ate their couch and destroyed their household items. She needs someone who understands Danes and how they "tick". They do think differently than other breeds. They are their own unique breed of dog. Danes do not know they are dogs. They think they are humans. Their perception and their interaction with their world reflects this. They are "gentle giants" in the true sense of the word (when properly trained in basic obedience).

Bella will need a home where her owner has either trained them in the past or is willing to get her into obedience training ASAP as well as be with her 1:1 when she is not in her crate.

More updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section.