Jul 10, 2010

Bella

I picked up Bella today on what was the last leg of a very long journey for her. She had left a shelter early this morning and mine was the last leg of her long day that brought her to my foster home. She has spent the past week in a shelter after being abandoned by her former owner.

I arrived at the designated meeting area to pick her up from another volunteer who had driven her on the previous leg of her journey. When Bella got out of the car, my heart fell out onto the pavement of the Arby's parking lot. She was the reincarnate of the only other Great Dane I have ever owned!

My Dane Jade and this new "puppy" could have been sisters! Sadly, Jade left this world after living 11 years-a long time for a Dane.

As I picked my heart up off the concrete pavement of the Arby's parking lot, I briefly recalled the words that one of the Great Dane rescuers had jokingly said to me a few days before...something about the first foster Dane being a "foster failure". Meaning the Dane would fail to get adopted because the foster mom would end up keeping her.

See for yourself.

First a picture of Jade

And now a picture of Bella:The same ice-blue eyes, and mix of Merle and Harlequin colors....

Did the god of Great Dane Forever Homes do this on purpose?
Can you read the writing on the wall?

Well the wall is wrong.

I am not adopting a third dog. Two German Shepherds, a Full Time job, a Motorcycle to ride and Veterans to honor, a Piano to play, and a Guitar to learn all make me busy enough.

So the wall is wrong.

This is my new FOSTER dog. As in, keeping-her-for-10-weeks-or-so-until-she-goes-to-her-forever-home, dog.

Seriously.

(If after reading Bella's Tale you are interested in adopting a Great Dane, go to http://www.greatdanerescueinc.com )

2 comments:

  1. Much prefer the name Bella...it suits her...if we were closer I would offer to take her,she's really lovely...have fun with her. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daughter,
    Have you ever watched the sitcom "Two & 1/2 Men?" When someone says something that Charlie thinks will never happen he says "Let Me Know How That Works Out For You." In twelve weeks "let me know how that works out for you."
    Where is Bella's "forever home."
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section.